Last Updated: March 25, 2016
Our Services include, without limitation, our Interactive TV Services (described in the “Collection of Information” section below), our Smart TV apps (for example, our video streaming service – “Hotlist”), our websites (including http://www.samba.tv) and our mobile apps. Our Services also include “Integrated Services”, which refers to our products and services that may be integrated into third-party websites, mobile apps and Smart TV apps. Please see the “Information from Integrated Services” section below for more information.
This policy describes what types of information we collect in connection with our Services, how we use that information, and how we share that information. We have worked hard to make this policy clear and straightforward. That said, if you have any questions regarding our collection, use or treatment of your information – please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Collection of Information
Depending on which Services you use, we collect different kinds of information, some of which may be personally identifiable information. Personally identifiable information is information that can be used to specifically identify you as an individual – like your name, address, social security number or email address. Personally identifiable information does not include information that is linked to a particular computer or device – such as web browser type, IP address, mobile device ID, the URL of web site you visited, etc.
The following is the information we collect:
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, update your profile, participate in certain interactive features of the Services, fill out a form, request customer support or communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include your name, email address, phone number, interests and preferences, location and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
We receive information about the Services you use and how you use them, such as when you watch a video on Hotlist, visit a third-party website or app that uses our Integrated Services, or interact with our ads and content.
This information includes the following:
- Log Information: We collect standard log files when you use our Services, which include the time and date of access, pages or features viewed, IP address, the type of web browser you use and the referral URL.
- Device Information: We collect information about the devices you use to interact with our Services, such as the hardware model and brand, operating system, device IDs, resource usage, and error logs. We may also record when devices are available to connect with a Smart TV. This may be done, for example, by sending a signal from your device to a nearby Smart TV or by using our Interactive TV Services to see what devices are connected to the same network as the Smart TV. We may use this information, for example, to make connecting your device to your Smart TV easier.
- Content Viewing Information: We receive information about the content you view and interact with through a Smart TV that integrates our Interactive TV Services or through Smart TV apps (such as Hotlist) (“Content Viewing Information”). This information includes the title of the content watched, actions taken while viewing the content, the amount of time you watch the content and other information about that content. We receive this information in two different ways:
- Smart TV apps: We may receive such viewing information when you use our Smart TV apps or third-party Smart TV apps that use our Integrated Services.
- Interactive TV Services: When you opt in to our Interactive TV Services, we may recognize the content played through your TV. Please note, we are only able to determine what you’re watching if we have identifiers for that content in our database. So, for example, we won’t know when you’re watching home videos.
- Location Information: With your consent, we may collect information about the specific location of your device, including when you access or use one of our mobile apps or apps that use our Integrated Services.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information when you interact with our Services. These technologies include cookies, local storage and web beacons. Cookies and local storage (like HTML5) are small data files that are stored on your device when you visit a website. Cookies and local storage enable us and our customers to provide features and functionality (such as keeping you logged in), see which areas and features of our Services are popular and monitor performance of the Services. Web beacons (or pixel tags) are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails to help deliver cookies, count website visits, and determine the effectiveness of email marketing campaigns. Please note that our Services do not currently respond to web browser “Do Not Track” signals because there is no industry consensus on the issue.
- Information from Integrated Services: We collect information when you visit or use third-party websites and apps that use our Integrated Services, including through the cookies and other technologies described above. For example, when you elect to pair a broadcasters app to your TV, such broadcaster can use our technology to synchronize your experience in their mobile apps as you watch a show on your TV. Also, third-party apps and websites can use our measurement and advertising services to better understand usage of their services and enable the delivery of interest-based advertisements. The information we collect includes information about your use of those websites and apps, as well as information those apps or websites enable us to collect from their services. For example, a streaming video provider may enable us to receive information about the content you watch so that our recommendation service can suggest additional content that you might like.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we collect information from data intelligence providers and advertising exchange services, including assumed demographics and interests, and data about your engagement with our ads. Also, if you create or log into your Samba TV account through a social media service, we will have access to certain information from that service in accordance with the settings and authorization you grant us through that service.
Use of Information
We may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain and improve, our Services (such as, for the purposes of fixing malfunctions, testing our security systems, refining the user experience, increasing the technical performance, etc.);
- Monitor and analyze usage of our Services;
- Personalize our Services and deliver recommendations, advertisements, content and features that match your interests;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers and events offered by Samba or others, and provide content we think you will find interesting;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service; and
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights, safety and property of Samba and others.
For clarity, information we receive about you from using one device or Smart TV may be combined with information we receive about you from your use of other devices or Smart TVs. For example if we know you love watching football on your Smart TV, we may show you real-time football stats on your mobile device.
Please note – we will not combine personally identifiable information with the information we use to deliver interest-based advertisements without your consent.
Sharing of Information
We will not share the information we collect about you except as follows:
- With your consent or at your direction, including when you authorize us to share information with other companies. When you authorize us to share information about you with other companies, those companies may use this information for their direct marketing purposes and as otherwise described in their privacy policies. Authorization may take different form – but we will always make it clear to you when you are granting authorization. You should review such policies to understand how such companies will treat your information;
- When you submit a post to interactive areas of our websites or apps, users of those services will be able to see the posts, your username and when you submitted the post;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers that work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or to protect the rights, property or safety of Samba or others;
- In connection with any merger, sale of assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company; and
- Between and among Samba and its current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership.
Aggregated or De-Identified Data & Viewing Information
We may share aggregated or otherwise de-identified information, including as described below in the “Our Advertising and Analytics Services” section below. Such information may be provided to our partners or the public in general. For example, we may publish reports regarding how many people viewed a particular TV show. For clarity, such information will not specifically identify you as an individual. Aggregate data means information about you will be combined with that of other users – in a manner that does not personally identify you.
We may also share Content Viewing Information combined with a device ID (such as the advertising ID associated with your smartphone). We will NEVER share Content Viewing Information combined with personally identifiable information except when we get your consent or as described in the “Sharing of Information” section above.
Our Advertising and Analytics Services
As part of our analytics and advertising services, we may share data that is in an aggregated or otherwise de-identified form to help make the advertisements you see more interesting and to help our customers make their products and services better. For example, we may share de-identified information regarding your demographics and interests for use in connection with the delivery of interest-based advertisements. In addition, we may share aggregate data with our customers about the performance of their advertisements, products and services.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the company that provides the sharing feature. Please visit the privacy policies of the companies that provide these social sharing features for information about their data processing in connection with these features.
Analytics and Advertising Services Provided by Others
Samba takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Below are the choices we provide in connection with the practices described above.
Interactive TV Services
- We require TV manufacturers to provide you with an opt-in to enable our Interactive TV Services (which collect Content Viewership Information). This opt-in will usually be presented when you first set up your Smart TV – or after your Smart TV gets a software update that includes our Interactive TV Service.
- You should be able to opt out of, or into, our Interactive TV Services at any time your TV is connected to the Internet. You typically can find our opt-out and opt-in feature in the settings area of your Smart TV or within the Interactive TV Service user interface, but you should contact the TV manufacturer to determine the exact location if you have trouble finding it.
- If you opt out of our Interactive TV Services, we will no longer collect TV viewing information through this service. However, we still may receive Content Viewership Information when you watch content through certain Smart TV apps (as described above in the “Collection of Information” section).
- Also, if you opt out of our Interactive TV Services, you will not be able to take advantage of our interactive features on your Smart TV, such as receiving content recommendations based on the shows you love, interacting or playing along with your favorite shows using your TV remote or mobile device, accessing exclusive content and offers, and receiving notifications when the show you were watching returns from commercial.
- If you intend to sell or otherwise give away your Smart TV – you should perform a “factory reset”. This will (1) reset the Samba TV advertising ID and (2) allow the new owner of the TV to choose whether they want to opt in or opt out.
- Below are additional options regarding our delivery of interest-based advertisements:
- With most Smart TVs that integrate our Interactive TV Services, you may reset your Samba TV advertising ID at any time through your TV. Your Samba TV advertising ID is a device ID used to serve targeted ads to your device. By resetting this advertising ID, we will remove the link between you Samba TV advertising profile and the content you previously watched – so interest-based advertisements will not be served based on such content. This reset feature should be in your TV settings menu, but please check with the TV manufacturer for the exact location. If you cannot find this feature or your TV manufacturer has not enabled this feature, please contact us at email@example.com to reset your Samba TV advertising ID.
- For your options regarding the delivery of interest-based advertisements to your mobile device, please refer to your mobile operating system settings to see how you can opt out of interest-based advertisements or reset your mobile device advertiser ID to unlink information previously associated with your advertiser ID. For clarity, Samba TV does not control your mobile device operating system and cannot guarantee the availability or effect of these options.
- You can opt out of having Samba use your web browsing information for interest-based advertisements by visiting this opt out link:
Cookies and Local Storage
If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies or to clear local storage. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies or clear local storage, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
If you consent to our collection of device location, you can turn location-based services on and off by adjusting the settings of your Internet browser or mobile device.
You may update, correct or delete information about you in accordance with applicable law. You may be able to exercise these rights by logging into your online account, or, if not, by visiting http://www.samba.tv/support or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages (often it will be a notice or link at the bottom of the message). If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please contact us at email@example.com.
We may change this policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will revise the date at the top of the policy and also provide you with notice. Such notice may take various forms, such as adding a statement to our website, sending you an email or providing an on-screen notification on your Smart TV. Certain changes may require your express consent to have retroactive effect. In such event, if you do not consent, your information will be treated according to the version of this policy that was in effect at the time the information was collected, or provided to, Samba TV (but, for clarity, if you continue to use any of the Services after being notified of the applicable changes, the new version of this policy will apply to all information collected or provided on a going-forward basis).